There are many outdoor activities to enjoy when you visit the Drakensberg, and it comes as no surprise that birdwatching consistently proves to be one of the most popular, especially considering the vast indigenous birdlife in the area.
The wetland surrounding Oaklands Country Manor is home to no less than 5 seriously endangered bird species and 27 species that are under threat, including the white-winged flufftail, Rudd’s Lark and the wattled crane.
But you don’t have to be a serious birder to enjoy watching birds at the Oaklands Estate. The beautiful landscapes and calming hiking and biking trails make it simple to ease yourself into the pleasures of this captivating pastime.
A Matter Of Time
Many first-time birdwatchers want to know the best time to go birdwatching and most experts respond with, “anytime.” This is because their habits vary from species to species. In order to see a wide variety of birds, it is worth heading out at different times of the day. During the morning, many bird species are very active, but this is not the case for all birds. There are various factors that influence the time when birds come out, including the nature of their habitat and weather conditions.
5 Birdwatching Basics for Beginners
- Bring Your Binoculars – You won’t always be able to get close enough to see the birds with your naked eye, so a pair of binoculars is a birder’s best friend.
- Listen Up – It’s not just about watching, it’s about listening too. Listening out for the unique sounds that each species makes will help you spot them.
- Don’t Rush – This is a pastime that rewards patience, so be prepared to enjoy this activity at a leisurely pace.
- Research – If you are out to spot a particular species of birds it may be worth doing some research around what time they are most active, where you are most likely to find them, and to familiarise yourself with any distinct markings.
- Books and Apps – There are various region-specific guides and tools to help you get the most out of birdwatching. Visit your local bookstore or check out your app store.
The Early Bird Catches the Worm
Though we boast beautiful birdlife all-year-round, the best time of year to experience a wide variety of birdlife is during the warmer months. Spring is just around the corner, book your stay at Oaklands Country Manor now to secure your country escape and avoid disappointment.